Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pretty is as pretty does.

What makes someone a beautiful person? Is it having long Kardashian hair, or having porcelain baby doll skin? Is it being incredibly flawless, stick thin, dressing well, or looking like Kate Hudson? Lately I've noticed that I've been receiving a lot of compliments lately on my looks. Not only have I been told I've turned into a gorgeous girl, but my parents have been told that a lot too lately. (Sorry for the egotistical comments, I mean I did win biggest ego in high school.) Nonetheless, these comments have made me think. I've never really thought of myself as the America's Next Top Model type. We all have our insecurities, right?  Receiving comments about my looks have been incredibly warm hearting, but they've made me think, what kind of person am I on the inside? To me, being a beautiful person isn't about your looks. I would much rather be a beautiful person on the inside than on the outside. I don't want to leave this earth having people think that I was just another pretty face. I would much rather be remembered as being a warm, kind hearted, loving and caring girl. Someone who was selfless, and who did as much for others as she could. I was raised by the means of serving others, its something that my church (LDS) has raised me on. Whether or not you're LDS, or even go to church, service is key. I mean, how awesome is it to help others? Courtney and I used to make cookies and brownies to people in our ward that were in our neighborhood for the heck of it, because it makes them happy, and in turn makes us happy to know we brightened somebody's day.

In my last blog post I wrote about a book I was reading titled "How to be lovely." It's a book on Audrey Hepburn and her life. I've never been a super huge Audrey girl, but I have seen Breakfast at Tiffany's, and I do know the sense of elegance and grace that she carried with her. Every respectable girl should try to be like Audrey. Wouldn't you just feel amazing to know that people thought so highly of you? That people thought about how graceful you were, and how much of a lovely girl you were. That's what I'm striving to be, to be the lovely, beautiful girl, on the inside and maybe the out, that people want to be acquainted with. I don't have the perfect past, and I won't have the perfect future, but I can sure try. Willpower, dignity, grace, understanding, all help one to know the power that they have to be who they want to be. My parents always raised Courtney and I to be beautiful girls, and not just by our good looks (thanks mom and dad, you guys rock.) I could not thank my parents enough for the life that they've given my sister and I. Not enough thanks in this world would be enough to let them know how much I fully understand and appreciate all that they've done for Court and I, but one way that I can thank them, is to be the beautiful girl that they've raised me to be. To find the good in others, to find the good in myself, to live and to love the best that I can and beyond. To be grateful for what I have, to appreciate the little things, to not sweat the small stuff. To be a hard worker, a little fighter, and to never give up. They've taught me how to hold my own, to keep my head held high, and to be a little princess. My parents raised me to be a beautiful girl, and I'm not going to let them down.

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment